Monday, May 2, 2011

Vote Early and Vote Often!

Elephants Carrying EVM
Vote.
Go vote.
Really – go vote now.
If you haven’t done it yet, stop reading right now and go vote. 
I don’t care who you vote for, just vote.
Well, yes, I do – I really, really hope you’ve got your Orange Crush on and you’re going to vote NDP.
But even more than that, I hope that you are going to just go vote.  If you don’t like any of your choices, go to the polling station and spoil your ballot if you must, but please, please Exercise Your Democratic Right and GO VOTE!

I wish voting day had been yesterday here in Ottawa.  Yesterday was warm and almost summery.  People were out and active and optimistic about life, as only a Canadian in springtime can be. 

Today it’s drizzling and cooler and it feels like the perfect day to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book.  Not the type of day to schlep out to the local school gym and stand in line inhaling the scent of old sweat socks and deflated basketballs while you you’re your turn to mark your X.

Whenever I think about elections, I remember a photo from the Times of India a few years ago of an elephant swaying through the forest with an EVM (electronic voting machine) on its back, bringing the right to vote to remote villagers in India. 

Sounds like a logistical nightmare doesn’t it?  But that’s how important voting is. 

Now, I’m off to take my own advice, fire up the old pachyderm and exercise my democratic right and duty.



No comments:

Post a Comment